I used a great small (and inexpensive) program called ArtRage Pro to do my line work and coloring. My story was very whimsical and funny, so I wanted the book to have a Saturday morning cartoon style, using solid black outlines and vibrant flat "cel"-like coloring.
|The finalized kitchen scene from a page of Bobby's Biggest Bubble (sans type/lettering)|
The image was first pencil sketched, scanned and then placed into ArtRage where I traced in the ink lines (using about 9% pen size).
|The original pencil sketch scanned into ArtRage Pro to be inked and colored|
|The "inked" layers all seen together without coloring. Note: many background items were extended in more detail from the original pencil sketch. Doing this allows more control of placement and making adjustments if needed.|
I created separate layers for highlights and shades and placed their layers over the color layers. Then I drew in the highlights and shadows using the same smooth Ink Pen as before, only at a much larger size (about 15%). For shading, the layer's Opacity was turned down to 15-20% using black as the color. For highlights, the layer's Opacity was turned down to about 60% using white as the color.
Lowering the opacity creates a transparent coloring control that allows me to darken or lighten the colors underneath.
|The image shown w/o highlights/shading, but includes the word balloon and outer framing (via Photoshop)|
When the image was finished, it was exported to a Photoshop PSD file (with layers) so that I could compile and convert all images (and layers) into a high quality TIF files and place them into Adobe's InDesign for publishing. Final touches like text, word balloons and outline frames were done in Photoshop.
FYI: I plan to use ArtRage again for the book's sequel . . . love using this program!