Friday, May 16, 2014

Daily Quick Sketch: It's Over!

Had this sketch laying on my desk for quite some time now. No idea why I would sketch an image of the old cliche "It ain't over till the fat lady sings". Simple no idea why I drew this. 

Sometimes, sketches just happen with no reason at all. Perhaps I overheard someone say the phrase -- or saw a TV commercial that referred to the saying. Either way, I feel it's always nice to simply draw whatever comes to mind. I rarely use reference when sketching, doing this challenges my memory and forces me to think about what I'm creating. It also helps explore and discover new ideas.


Daily pencil sketch . . . Well, I guess that's it!It's over!

I like this sketch, but feel there's much to be improved.
Her shoes should be sandals or something more relative to the era. I like the face, but the body needs to be tweaked. It doesn't balance that well and the overall composition and center of gravity of her girth should be corrected. I think she should be holding a shield too . . .

Curious about the origin phrase itself, I found the saying refers to the Valkyrie Brünnhilde in Wagner's opera, Ring Cycle. She sings an aria that is about 20 minutes long towards the end of the opera - which then ends with the Armageddon of the Norse Gods called Götterdämmerung.

So yeah, I guess that is definitely an end to everything . . .