Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes: Bobby's Biggest Bubble

I can safely say that bigger is not better. 
Originally I picked 8.5" by 11", the standard letter size, to be the size of my first children's book, Bobby's Biggest Bubble. 
The reasoning: it is the most economic and largest size to print a children's book. I wanted the bubble in the story to appear bigger than life. But the 11" by 8.5" format makes the images too wide, creating too much filler background.
Too much background = the focus on the bubble is diminished. 

I was also having technical troubles with the 2-page spread pages. When making 22.25" by 8.75" images at 300 dpi on a computer (each image having about 12 layers of line work and coloring) the computer hits a memory limit and the workflow starts to slow down. Especially since I would often have several pages open at once for reference, keeping the style, lines and colors consistent from page to page.

The solution was easy:
Changing to a slightly more compact format of 10" by 8" for the inner pages makes the workflow faster with an overall better composition for the story - this simple change makes the book look better. (The overall size of the hard cover will be about 10.25" by 8.25")

Since this is my first try at self publishing, I'm looking over everything, learning as I go and I can safely say I like how things are turning out. It’s been awhile since I shared some of the artwork. Below is another sample of page 21 from the book in the new size format, where Bobby is just beginning to find out that making the biggest bubble isn't as easy as he thought it would be. 

(PS: I'm sure I'll make changes to to this image too before it's all finished!!)