Thursday, July 12, 2012

Side-by-side Corrections


Below are pencil sketches for the Raphael image I made recently.
I wanted to post these two sketches side-by-side to show how I struggled with his left leg. The pose seemed to work in my head - but when placed on paper, the angle of his leg and foot just didn't work at all. 

Pencil sketches of Raphael showing changes

Maybe I needed to enlarge the foot to give it a better perspective + depth -- or -- drop the leg lower away from the body. After reworking that foot several times, I decided that angle weakened the overall composition; so the whole left leg was changed and balanced out with the right leg.

Surprisingly, doing this made me see how far off I drew the center of his belt's knot. The belt was also corrected. Overall, the pose is not as dynamic as I wanted it to be, but at least now the leg is not a disturbing distortion.