Thursday, February 4, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Golf Dad Mug Design

This one goes back many years ago when I worked for a giftware company designing novelty products. They wanted a humourous Father's Day mug related to golf. I started writing down as many insults and oddities that would be found on a typical Dad playing golf.


The mug sold well on the market, so I was asked to create 3 more for the following year. I remember the three follow-up mugs were, Fisherman, BBQ Chef and Couch Potato -- but this original Golf mug outsold the other mugs combined.

One thing I do remember while creating this design was that I originally did a very clean vector version, which looked very polished with solid clean lines. But this rougher and loose style seemed to work much better with the text humor.