Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Images from da Ol' Creaky Hard Drive: Bobby

Digital watercolor base with color pencil lines (Painter 12)
I have an old, external hard drive that sounds like it is on its last leg. I can hear the ball bearings starting to rattle inside the casing . . . so, I've been backing everything that's worth saving onto another drive.

What's strange is finding images on the drive that I don't remember making . . . ( I do find this happening more often as I get older.)  I'm pretty sure I did these images . . .
yea . . . 
pretty sure . . .

This image is one of those test sketches I was doing last year when I was making my children's book. I do remember making quite a few test sketches, trying different styles and looks -- but time was the key back then. To do the entire book in a more painterly style would have easily added another month to the workload.


I really wanted a sketchier style to the book, but I was concerned on how to control the pencil line details.  Transferring pencil lines to print is tricky and risky; it's very easy to lose many pencil strokes when scanning into a computer.  Since this was to be my first major self published book . . . I wanted no risks taken. The final decision was to go with heavy ink lines and spot coloring, making it a very cartoony-looking style.