Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Daily Sketch: The Lion and The Mouse

Here's another pencil sketch from one of my sketch books. This one is a nod to the classic fable, The Lion and the Mouse. Of course, I made it more silly . . . usually illustrators do a very realistic image of a real looking lion and mouse. Realistic just ain't my thing . . . while I highly admire those who can create beautiful realistic imagery, I really have not desire to do such images.

Pencil sketch of The Lion and The Mouse from my sketchbook.
I realize now that this lion reminds my a lot of the character Tigger, from Winnie the Pooh;
mostly because of the large snout, beady eyes, rounded ears and gaping mouth.
The resemblance was not intentional, just turned out that way.
To be honest, I was just sketching the lion's head at first. Then I added his body in a silly fetal like position - so he looked like he was floating. The lion's body pose made me think of the Aesop's fable, so I added the thorn in his paw which made the lion now looked more startled than . . .floating.
The mouse was squeezed into the page towards the end of the sketch.

The sketching process is always a surprise. I never draw exactly what I first imagine because the creative process is ALWAYS changing as the pencil moves on the paper. There's a constant trial and error that competes with new ideas and experimentation as the sketch is being made.

Hopefully when finished, the sketch resembles the basis of the original idea.
Hopefully that idea was improved upon from it's original conception.
And hopefully it all translates well to others who see it.

(Hmm, I seem to get too philosophical when I drink Chia Tea at night. . . )